Debate on the Healthiness of Fangirlism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asphodel said:
I'm going to have to ask you the same thing I asked IceMaiden. Thank you.

I must say, many of you seem to be contradicting yourselves. You say, Lucy_QueenofNarnia, that you never talk about Will or Skandar (which I'm not saying is either a good or bad thing) but another person said that the mods developed a new forum because girls were constantly talking about how much "they thought Will was hott", etc., etc.

ugh you don't get it. We DO talk about William or skandar, but we do not talk about them 24/7 like they revolve around every thing we do!

tinman said:
Hey all, this is a thread that I, smokeonthewater, Asphodel, Aitoren, Fawkes777, and JackD are starting on behalf of the topic of celebrity obsession. First of all, it is extremely unhealthy and quite fruitless to obsess over people that will most definitely never be met or acquainted with. I don't want to come off offensive, and I don't want other members to come off offensive either. This thread was created to have an intelligent discussion.

I have friends that are completly obsessed, but I do think it is unhealthy. I mean its a famous guy...so what. Okay so there is talent involved...you haven't even met the person, how can you like him? I mean...okay maybe you really just liked what his character portrayed. But I agree 100%!

Asphodel said:

I must say, many of you seem to be contradicting yourselves. You say, Lucy_QueenofNarnia, that you never talk about Will or Skandar (which I'm not saying is either a good or bad thing) but another person said that the mods developed a new forum because girls were constantly talking about how much "they thought Will was hott", etc., etc.

No, I'm not saying I never talk about them- I talk about them sometimes, but its not like, as Aitoren said (as that was sorta directed at his comment) that we talk about him for hours on end. I said it wasn't possible to do that. Yes, I talk about him, but its not the only thing we talk about, as we constantly say.

Asphodel said:

...DO I HAVE TO SPELL THIS OUT NICE AND SLOW FOR YOU???

I really don't mean to sound rude,but seriously we're trying to explain this for you as best we can.Yes we do talk about Will/Skandar but not ALL he time,if you look and pay attention to this usually when someone gets on the thread they say "hi have you heard any Will (or Skandar) news?"My Point: Yes we do talk about Will/Skandar but we don't talk about him constantly.

NarniaNerd91 said:
...DO I HAVE TO SPELL THIS OUT NICE AND SLOW FOR YOU???

I really don't mean to sound rude,but seriously we're trying to explain this for you as best we can.Yes we do talk about Will/Skandar but not ALL he time,if you look and pay attention to this usually when someone gets on the thread they say "hi have you heard any Will (or Skandar) news?"My Point: Yes we do talk about Will/Skandar but we don't talk about him constantly.

Well I talk about the news with everything...Skandar, Will, Anna, Georgie, Prince Caspian... Though I do agree, I am not a fangirl but knowing some, they do not ALWAYS talk about Skander or Will.

"Ugh" I don't think you get it either. A friend of mine wrote this, and she happens to be a girl:

It’s every true fan’s worst nightmare: a pack of giggling, teenage girls, all at that age where puberty is just rearing its head – pointing excitedly at a particular male phenomenon’s image (forget that ‘idolatry’ clause in the Commandments, right?) and losing all the respect and dignity they could have had by being a true fan.

Why does this bother me? Because this is spreading like an epidemic. Girls hide under the fact that it's "okay" to be a fangirl, cause it's just for fun, right, "I think this guy is hott" so it's all right? Who cares what people think, right? Even if I'm not developing my own identity and annoying the heck out of hundreds of people in the process, it doesn't really matter, right? I'm my own person and I'm going to stick with these other fangirls because we have something in common - we enjoy giggling over celebrities, or if not doing that, randomly bantering about our lives like we're the only ones who should talk because we love this person! We're unified under this celebrity! Right? Wrong.

And watch it, narnianerd. We're still trying to grasp what your saying, even if you spell it out nice and slow. That's how complicated this is.

tinman said:
"Ugh" I don't think you get it either.

It’s every true fan’s worst nightmare: a pack of giggling, teenage girls, all at that age where puberty is just rearing its head – pointing excitedly at a particular male phenomenon’s image (forget that ‘idolatry’ clause in the Commandments, right?) and losing all the respect and dignity they could have had by being a true fan.

Why does this bother me? Because this is spreading like an epidemic. Girls hide under the fact that it's "okay" to be a fangirl, cause it's just for fun, right, "I think this guy is hott" so it's all right? Who cares what people think, right? Even if I'm not developing my own identity and annoying the heck out of hundreds of people in the process, it doesn't really matter, right? I'm my own person and I'm going to stick with these other fangirls because we have something in common - we enjoy giggling over celebrities, or if not doing that, randomly bantering about our lives like we're the only ones who should talk because we love this person! We're unified under this celebrity! Right? Wrong.

And watch it, narnianerd. We're still trying to grasp what your saying, even if you spell it out nice and slow. That's how complicated this is.

Not every fangirl is liek that,not all screamy and giggly "ohh (will/skandar) i love you so much!" yes we like will/skandar,but we ain't completely crazy over them.I guess you have to be one to understand.I've tried to explain the best i possibly could.We're trying to answer ya'll the best we can,i hope you know that.

and agreeing with a fellow willianite..
yes it was well put Tinman.

NarniaNerd91 said:
Not every fangirl is liek that,not all screamy and giggly "ohh (will/skandar) i love you so much!" yes we like will/skandar,but we ain't completely crazy over them.I guess you have to be one to understand.I've tried to explain the best i possibly could.We're trying to answer ya'll the best we can,i hope you know that.

*bows&=* thank youu!:eek: There are many types of fangirls. Some are ubere-obsessed, and other's arent. It just depends how she is.
I like Skandar cos he's over-all awesome....and I dont [giggle. :rolleyes: Some people find it annoying, then, good for them..whatever. BUt they have to learn to LIVE WITH IT. THe world isnt going to change for their sake. :rolleyes:

♣Teh Deviant♣ said:
*bows&=* thank youu!:eek: There are many types of fangirls. Some are ubere-obsessed, and other's arent. It just depends how she is.
I like Skandar cos he's over-all awesome....and I dont [giggle. :rolleyes: Some people find it annoying, then, good for them..whatever. BUt they have to learn to LIVE WITH IT. THe world isnt going to change for their sake. :rolleyes:

*applaudes* :D

I dont think its right to just group together all fans out there into the "fangirls" (which obviously people have a problem with) and "the true fans".

I'm trying to keep this polite and everything, but its insulting when someone tells you that you aren't a true fan of an actor just because you think he's cute.

There are crazy, abnormal, obsessed weirdos out there who actually go and stalk actors and stare at their pictures all day. THATS UNHEALTHY, NOT TO MENTION PRETTY ILLEGAL. But to say that its unhealthy for girls to find a few others on a forum and share a common opinion that an actor is cute, thats not unhealthy!

Lucy_QueenofNarnia said:
I dont think its right to just group together all fans out there into the "fangirls" (which obviously people have a problem with) and "the true fans".

I'm trying to keep this polite and everything, but its insulting when someone tells you that you aren't a true fan of an actor just because you think he's cute.

There are crazy, abnormal, obsessed weirdos out there who actually go and stalk actors and stare at their pictures all day. THATS UNHEALTHY, NOT TO MENTION PRETTY ILLEGAL. But to say that its unhealthy for girls to find a few others on a forum and share a common opinion that an actor is cute, thats not unhealthy!

THANK YOU! :D

Lucy_QueenofNarnia said:

Well, we definitely think it's right to separate the two. Not only right, but necessary.

♣Teh Deviant♣ said:
But, why? Why are you judging us by what we fantasize?

Deviant I like you and everything, but you even get violent over a story of Skandar kissing another (FAKE) girl!

tinman said:
Well, we definitely think it's right to separate the two. Not only right, but necessary.

so thats the only reason you think we like an actor? because he's cute?

perhaps you haven't been on and haven't seen where we've posted many times that we like these actors because of their abilities and their personalities (or at least what we know of their personalities). the fact that we also deem them good-looking is just something extra. i dont know about everyone else, but I am a Willianite because I think that William Moseley is an actor with talent, and I will support him in future movies, hoping that he will evolve into an even better actor with practice (because I don't want this to turn into something where someone says I think he is the perfect actor).

if you think fans of his acting aren't allowed to be fans of his looks as well, then you'll be sadly disappointed with the rest of the world because dear, that is how many women and men of all ages feel about different actors and actresses.

PrinceCaspianwannabe said:
Deviant I like you and everything, but you even get violent over a story of Skandar kissing another (FAKE) girl!

lol tht was a joke. :D

EDIT: LQN, you've hit the nail right on the head and I echo your statements. :)

♣Teh Deviant♣ said:
...but youre making me look bad... :rolleyes: lol

lol
if everyone took what i posted seriously, then well.. we'd have a serious problem.

*sigh* this debate is going to be neverending, i can see it now. it seems like everyone just keeps repeating themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back