I haven't seen any of the episodes with Sarah Jane, but when she's been in the newer series, it gives the impression that she was madly in love with the Doctor.

Yes, she pretty much openly stated it. The reason I emphasized Leela is that Leela's romantic desire for the Doctor was already detectable beginning at the conclusion of the FIRST story in which Leela ever appeared.

Despite the hostility to Christianity on the part of some of the writers, I can and do use the Doctor as a spiritual illustration on two points. You see that we were just discussing human women falling madly in love with the Doctor? Hence the two points--

1) For the benefit of young men wishing to have a girlfriend and eventually a wife: note that the girls fall for the Doctor precisely BECAUSE he is not putting moves on them. He does them good turns WITHOUT expecting something from them as a repayment. This can be sort of compared to Paul's admonition to husbands to love their wives "as Christ loved the church AND GAVE HIMSELF FOR HER."

2) For the correction of a seriously WRONG idea about Jesus Christ Himself: note that the reason WHY the Doctor never becomes erotically involved with any human woman is not because he isn't fond of them, but because there is SO GREAT an inequality of knowledge and experience between him and them. Thus with Jesus: in His earthly life, He certainly felt affection for His female disciples, but the inequality of knowledge and power and stature and wisdom simply was TOO great for Him ever to consider marrying one. STILL LESS would He have "played around!"

In general I agree with what you say Copperfox, at least your first point.

As to the second I'm not entirely sure I agree. Your argument is appealing but I wonder if it doesn't verge on docetism. There's a danger of emphasising Christ's divinity so much you lose sight of His humanity. But I don't think Jesus was married; certainly not to Mary Magdalene (who's the one usually chosen for that role), if only because after telling His disciples to leave family behind to follow Him, it would be rather hypocritical to have a wife in tow. But this is probably a subject for a seperate thread.

I don't really think there was much evidence of deliberate anti Christian bias from Doctor Who writers. Two of the stories usually dredged up in support of that are The Daemons and Image of the Fendahl but both are pretty obviously rip offs of Quatermass and the Pit. The classic series shows plenty of interest in non Christian New Age philosphies with stories containing elements like Zen Buddhism, ancient astronouts and parapychology but really the writers were going for whatever was currently touching the popular imagination

When you have armies of super-duper-unbeatable Cosmic Guardians and suchlike running around the universe, taking credit for all civilization, and able to do anything they like, while not one tiny peep is EVER heard from the Biblical God even when the universe is about to be destroyed, and religious figures are routinely portrayed as ignoramuses....this adds up to the same thing as if they said in each episode's opening credits, "The God believed in by Jews and Christians does not exist, and never did." You know, if it looks like an atheistic duck, and waddles like an atheistic duck, and quacks like an atheistic duck, and swims like an atheistic duck, and deconstructs all supernatural beliefs like an atheistic duck...it's an atheistic duck.

Sure, the BBC writers have the freedom to be anti-Christian all day long; but I also have the freedom to point out what they are.

P.S. It's not denying Jesus' humanity at all to say that His human mind as well as His Deity-nature would have realized that no mortal could ever be His equal partner.

Copperfox, I think you're ascribing to the production teams of the classic series a great deal more credit for planning and forethought than they ever deserved.

The production of Dr Who in those days was a fraught and haphazard affair, with planned stories frequently falling through and replacements written on the cuff at the last minute. Basically they were producing pulp sf with ideas derived from a vast variety of popular sources. The idea there was some sort of atheist agenda underlying all this for 26 years I find rather difficult to credit.

In general they avoided the topic of religion because it was bound to offend someone and the series was controversial enough with accusations of promoting violence and giving children nightmares. Sometimes the stories touched on moral issues but for the most part it was intended to be taken simply as escapist entertainment.

Well, in the opening episode of 11th doctor you have Amelia Pond praying to..... hold it........... get ready....................................................

SANTA!!!!

Even a kid I know raised his eyebrows and said "THANK YOU SANTA? WHAAAT?" when Amelia said that after the TARDIS crashes in her garden as if in answer to her prayer. If that's not anti-Christian (Santa is hardly Christian), I don't know what it is?

(Of course, when B-King speaks negatively of Santa Claus, he means the made-up-out-of-nothing modern Santa Claus, who has NOTHING to do with the historical Saint Nicholas nor any interest in the birth of Jesus. The modern Santa Claus is a distracter, inviting children to direct their emotional needs toward him INSTEAD OF toward Jesus.)

Despite the hostility to Christianity on the part of some of the writers, I can and do use the Doctor as a spiritual illustration on two points. You see that we were just discussing human women falling madly in love with the Doctor? Hence the two points--

1) For the benefit of young men wishing to have a girlfriend and eventually a wife: note that the girls fall for the Doctor precisely BECAUSE he is not putting moves on them. He does them good turns WITHOUT expecting something from them as a repayment. This can be sort of compared to Paul's admonition to husbands to love their wives "as Christ loved the church AND GAVE HIMSELF FOR HER."

but the doctor did take Amy Pond away the night before her wedding and Donna as she was walking up the aisle.

Saint Nicholas and the modern Santa are definitely two different persons. Anyway, today I showed Doctor Who to someone who did not know nothing about it. Of course I showed them the episode "Blink." You can't go wrong with that one.

but the doctor did take Amy Pond away the night before her wedding and Donna as she was walking up the aisle.
Wait! The doctor didn't actually TAKE Donna. That was something to do with the TARDIS and whatever Donna was taking with her coffee, which was being served by her fiancee. That dude was putting something in it. I can't remember the entire episode.

Ohhh, I've seen parts of Blink! It looks sooo creepy. My cousin said that it was.
You've got to watch the entire episode!!!!

today in the lab I didn't quite get to use a vortex manipulator but I did get to use a vortex mixer which I kept thinking of as a vortex manipulator. =D

Wait! The doctor didn't actually TAKE Donna. That was something to do with the TARDIS and whatever Donna was taking with her coffee, which was being served by her fiancee. That dude was putting something in it. I can't remember the entire episode.

You've got to watch the entire episode!!!!

yes i agree see that episode also to find out what happens to donna see the last two epsodies of series 4 (not the specials) it will explain it very well.

Everyone ought to see the self-parody the BBC did of Doctor Who some years ago, titled "Doctor Who and the Curse of Fatal Death." It gave a comical treatment to the idea of time travel enabling someone to prepare for an emergency in advance. The Doctor was portrayed by the star of the "Blackadder" series. And of course the Daleks were in on the fun.

Back