Fave hobbit?

Sam is my favorite hobbit; dear sweet loyal Sam! When I first read the books he was my undesputed favorite character.

Frodo, however is a close second. Now I haven't seen a lot of support for Frodo on this thread, and I'm puzzled, why?

Frodo was a hero in the truest sense; he did the best he could, and better than any man could have hoped. He sacrificed EVERYTHING for the sake of Middle Earth, and unlike the other hobbits there was no 'happy ending' for him.

GrayCloak said:
Frodo, however is a close second. Now I haven't seen a lot of support for Frodo on this thread, and I'm puzzled, why?

Frodo was a hero in the truest sense; he did the best he could, and better than any man could have hoped. He sacrificed EVERYTHING for the sake of Middle Earth, and unlike the other hobbits there was no 'happy ending' for him.
I really liked him in the books, but the movies ruined frodo for me.

I must agree with BTF. In the books, Frodo was all that Gray says he was, and I really admired his character in the books. In the movies, it seems like he is a candle in the wind, weak. It's too bad.

rosymole said:
I always quite like Fatty Bolger, althougb I can't remember why now for the life of me!
fatty bolger's always been a favourite of mine too. he doesn't have the courage of the others, but he still does all he can.

frodo in the movies bugged me no end. he doesn't seem to know how to use his sword at all. all he really does is fall over, and make female tennis player noises. In the books, Frodo is one of my favourite characters. you can really sense how much strength he has, and you can't but have respect for him. he especially (out of the hobbits) shows that size means very little when it comes to power. and he contrasts very well with boromir, who physically is very strong, but mentally is so weak.

benjamin_narnialover said:
frodo in the movies bugged me no end. he doesn't seem to know how to use his sword at all. all he really does is fall over, and make female tennis player noises. In the books, Frodo is one of my favourite characters. you can really sense how much strength he has, and you can't but have respect for him. he especially (out of the hobbits) shows that size means very little when it comes to power. and he contrasts very well with boromir, who physically is very strong, but mentally is so weak.
Totally agree about Frodo in the movies, and your assessment of Frodo in the books. But not Boromir, he is not mentally weak at all. He is driven by a passion to save his family and his homeland, and in that mentality is very strong.

The Frodo one? It's that he keeps falling down! It's funny to see Frodo stumbling or being pushed over, again an again ...

if it was better cut together it might be better..but he can't really fall over properly..his thick neck gets in the way!! but I do like him in his new movie tho!, I'm not being rude, soz EW!!!

Hello all,

My personal favorite is Sam. He's so loyal and true. His character from the books appeals to me more than the movies. (I took the LOTR personality test and mine is most like his :))

But poor Frodo, the movies wussed him up. All the Hobbits had stronger characters in the books.

i dunno. i think the movies just made him more human. more relateable. people cant be strong all the time but still prevail. i think that's what they had in mind. oh, and i like sam but came out as gandalf in the personality test. although, sam was the next closest.

Back