Less than 1.00 days!

Are you going to see Voyage of the Dawn Treader the movie?

• Definitely -- midnight screening opening day!

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Yes, looking forward to it

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • Yes but without a lot of expectations

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • (not sure)

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Probably Not

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • No way!

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
If the remaining 4 books are made into movies, I would see them. I would prefer to see them made in the publication order, but that's just me.

I understand that many people will be introduced to the books because they see the movie. The only problem with that is that those people are looking at Narnia as another fantasy story, which LOTR and other books are. Narnia is so much more special than that. The spiritually behind the story is just too critical to miss.

I was also introduced, let see.... to City of Ember books because of the movies. But I wasn't looking for just the story, I was actually doing critical reading looking for the anti-Christian messages (which CoE has a lot of). Most people, especially those who come to the books because they get crushed on the actors will fail to see the message of Christianity that Lewis put into the books.

I think this is one of the reasons why people who came to the books because of PC failed to see the huge spiritual lessons in the book. After reading it, they think the books is "boring."

So my opinion still stands: Don't make the movies if it doesn't portray Narnia right. Make any other story into a movie. I don't mind those.

Last edited:
I understand that many people will be introduced to the books because they see the movie. The only problem with that is that those people are looking at Narnia as another fantasy story, which LOTR and other books are. Narnia is so much more special than that. The spiritually behind the story is just too critical to miss.

Sadly, a lot of people have missed it, even in reading the books first; or, if they are old enough to realize that it's there, they ignore it. Having movies that closely follow Lewis's books may help somewhat, but, since Narnia isn't a true allegory, the problem is harder to solve.

Well yeah, I have to agree with Glenburne on this one. Even some Christians who were raised in church miss the symbolism in the books, some that I've talked to. For my part, some of the symbolism in PC the book is hard to distinguish or figure out. My dad probably picked up on more of it and he's only read the book once, while I've read PC 6 times since I was 11. Even if the movies did bring out every detail of the books faithfully, a lot of people would flat out miss them. I don't know how Christians can miss them, especially if they've been around church and the Bible most of their lives, but most people don't realize that the man who wrote the books put in Christian elements intentionally....it blows my mind really.

And I'm glad I didn't see City of Ember; I had wanted to, but never got around to it.

(And just for the record, Ithought PC was boring before I saw the movie. ;) )

Ok then. So we agree that people are not going to get the spiritual message. Because if even Christians who read the books don't get it, the rest of the bunch ain't going to get it either.

Anyway, I consider the books a great witnessing tool, or at the minimum a good intro to the Christian faith. Badly made movies kinda water down the message, so they are really not worth it. If they don't make them right, they should not make them at all. It's my opinion.

Ok then. So we agree that people are not going to get the spiritual message. Because if even Christians who read the books don't get it, the rest of the bunch ain't going to get it either.

Anyway, I consider the books a great witnessing tool, or at the minimum a good intro to the Christian faith. Badly made movies kinda water down the message, so they are really not worth it. If they don't make them right, they should not make them at all. It's my opinion.

oh so true.

i totally agree!! that would be wonderfull!!

also can you please link me to the post where spector something about the order of the books? (if you can find it,if not thats ok)

Sorry for not answering this in my other post; no, I can't because it was posted several years ago, and I don't even remember what the article was really about....it may have been a mailbag thing instead of an actual news article, but I doubt that I could find it...

I know that Mardel's used to sell tracts that were Narnia-themed (possibly Lord of the Rings themed too). I don't know if I'd really want to use the books as a witnessing tool...I don't think that's what Lewis intended them for, but I do think they should be used to put things in perspective. I mean, if somebody was struggling with the thought of an all-perfect God sending His Son to die for humans who would more than likely reject Him, I would tell them to watch LWW, especially the Stone Table scenes. I think they translated that scene from the book onto screen very well, and I can't hardly watch it without getting somewhat misty-eyed.

I know that Mardel's used to sell tracts that were Narnia-themed (possibly Lord of the Rings themed too). I don't know if I'd really want to use the books as a witnessing tool...I don't think that's what Lewis intended them for, but I do think they should be used to put things in perspective. I mean, if somebody was struggling with the thought of an all-perfect God sending His Son to die for humans who would more than likely reject Him, I would tell them to watch LWW, especially the Stone Table scenes. I think they translated that scene from the book onto screen very well, and I can't hardly watch it without getting somewhat misty-eyed.

I think they were intended by Lewis to be (I'm not going to say witness or evangelical tools but rather) conversion tools. It makes for a good transition and puts a newer perspective to the christian faith. I think the main message Lewis wanted to get across was about the spirit of God himself. Too many people have the idea of that God is an overlord watching us all on video cameras waiting for us to mess up so he can record our sins and a little black book, and always making up strict rules for us to follow. They hardly think of him as a loving God that cares and wants to love us and make us clean.'...whatever the cost to us, whatever the cost to him' I think Lewis is trying to tell us through fairy tale form of the Narnia tales that the real God IS loving and DOES care about us .

Now radically speaking, I wouldn't go around on the street corner passing out Narnia or lord of the rings tracts to strangers. That certainly wouldn't have converted me so I don't expect it to convert anyone else. That was definitely not Lewis' intention.

Last edited:
I first got intersted in Narnia after we decided to watch the LWW DVD at my uncle and cousin's house. I then decided to get the box set and read them a few months later, not long before I decided to join here.

LWW looked like a movie I would have been interested in. PC really didn't and I doubtfully would have gotten as interested in the series as I am if I had watched PC first.

"I was also introduced, let see.... to City of Ember books because of the movies. But I wasn't looking for just the story, I was actually doing critical reading looking for the anti-Christian messages (which CoE has a lot of)."

That's a terrible way to read books, BK. Of course you were going to find the anti-Christian messages in the CoE books; looking for them is going to get you right to them. There are some people here who have said that the CoN are anti-Chrisitan or at least un-Christian. They found the parts that were and deemed it so. There are entire websites that talk about how the CoN were Satanic and CS Lewis was a heretic.

How you go about reading a book is how you are going to understand it. If you go in with no preconceptions, you can have the fairest understanding of the book. If people didn't see the Christian symbolism in the Con, so much better for them. The best books are the ones that can be read and enjoyed without a deeper understanding. I enjoyed the CoN without being a Christian.

I read the CoE books with the same lack of preconceptions and judged them on their storytelling merit. I personally found nothing in them that was anti-religion.

MrBob

I read Narnia and never saw anything Christian in them....I had to read them at least twice before I realized, "wait a second...there's something deeper here." But now I tend to try to pick apart the books so it's not always a good thing. :p

I am actually looking forward to to Doctor Who's Christmas Special more than VODT movie, so yeah.

do you have any idea whn thats on? also yeah the movie looks ok but but im not seeing it when it first comes out,a fews day after yep.

one thing im happy about is that the narnia movie series arnt like twilight (too much hype,not enough substance)

any it should be a good movie...i hope so..

Ugh, I'm glad they're not like Twilight as well, even though both series can't even begin to be compared. Narnia is a classic, Twilight is not. *You don't want to hear my opinions on that, trust me.*

I read Narnia and never saw anything Christian in them....I had to read them at least twice before I realized, "wait a second...there's something deeper here." But now I tend to try to pick apart the books so it's not always a good thing.

I remember reading Narnia as an assignment in school for 6th grade and our teacher was trying to get us to guess who Aslan was. We were all saying 'Professor Kirk!' Can't believe I didn't realize it til later who he really was. It was in a Christian school too! Glad I'm not the only one there. Especially since critics complain its too obvious and in-your-face to be a good allegory.

Narnia is a classic, Twilight is not. *You don't want to hear my opinions on that, trust me.*
My thoughts exactly

Nah, I thought "Christmas specials" came on in November. :D ;) :p haha. It kinda depends on the show though; some Christmas specials come out in NOvember...you know they start showing Christmas movies in November. (I can't say anything, though, I getout my Christmas movies in October. ;) )

knowing where i live it wont be out untill early january..or when the new series gets here... I live in AUS....so far away...

Back