Quotes By C.S. Lewis

"Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free-wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself."

As the movies are made, I can't help but think of this quote...

"The salvation of a single soul is more important than the production or preservation of all the epics and tragedies in the world."

"In the midst of a world of light and love, of song and feast and dance, [Lucifer] could find nothing to think of more interesting than his own prestige."

"A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you`re looking down, you can`t see something that`s above you."

"Talk to me about the truth of religion and I'll listen gladly. Talk to me about the duty of religion and I'll listen submissively. But don't come talking to me about the consolations of religion or I shall suspect that you don't understand."

"Unless Christianity is wholly false, the perception of ourselves which we have in moments of shame must be the only true one."

"The very idea of freedom presupposes some objective moral law which overarches rulers and ruled alike. Subjectivism about values is eternally incompatible with democracy. We and our rulers are of one kind only so long as we are subject to one law. But if there is no Law of Nature, the ethos of any society is the creation of its rulers, educators and conditioners; and every creator stands above and outside his own creation."

"Everything except God has some natural superior; everything except unformed matter has some natural inferior."

"Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..."

In honor of my mom who is a teacher...

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts."

"Affection is responsible for nine-tenths of whatever solid and durable happiness there is in our lives."

When God created man He called him good...we should take the hint, so I picked this quote.

"If God is satisfied with the work, the work may be satisfied with itself."

Sometimes we forget to turn to Him first...so I picked this quote...felt like doing 2 today.

"God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world."

I'm not sure if anyone has listed these already, but the two quotes in my sig are 2 of my very favourites in Jack's writings. They seem paradoxical, but both are sooooo true.

Last edited:
"A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading. There are traps everywhere--`Bibles laid open, millions of surprises,` as Herbert says, `fine nets and stratagems.` God is, if I may say it, very unscrupulous."

Back