Quotes By C.S. Lewis

Faith isn't based on our roller coaster of emotions and feelings...so I chose this quote for the day.

"Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods."

This is my favorite::
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen; not only because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else."

...Like CharnTim's banner. :D

Last edited:
"A silly idea is current that good people do not know what temptation means. This is an obvious lie. Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is... A man who gives in to temptation after five minutes simply does not know what it would have been like an hour later. That is why bad people, in one sense, know very little about badness. They have lived a sheltered life by always giving in."

(Thanks, anna.the.gentle that's an excellent quote :) )

This is kind of tough to take out of context and have it strike you with the same forcefullness, but being in academia now myself, I love this one so much, mostly for the beautiful iimage at the end (from chapter 1 of The Abolition of Man). Jack is addressing the issues with Education at the grade school level, in particular how a book by "Gaius and Titus" propagate a subjective view of truth and evan fail at adequately teaching literature.

"If Gaius and Titus were to stick to their last and teach their readers (as they promised to do) the art of English composition, it was their business to put this advertisement side by side with passages from great writers in which the very same emotion is well expressed, and then show where the difference lies...A lesson which had laid such literature beside the advertisement and really discriminated the good from the bad would have been a lesson worth teaching. There would have been some blood and sap in it-the trees of knowledge and of life growing together."

"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival."

I like that one, son of adam :)

Here's another favourite from Mere Christianity:

If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for this world were just those who thought most of the next...Aim at heaven and you will get Earth "thrown in"; aim at Earth and you will get nothing.

"Wherever any precept of traditional morality is simply challenged to produce its credentials, as though the burden of proof lay on it, we have taken the wrong position."

"Thirty was so strange for me. I`ve really had to come to terms with the fact that I am now a walking and talking adult."

"There are no variations except for those who know a norm, and no subtleties for those who have not grasped the obvious."

i dont know if anyone mentioned this or not but:

Friendship is born when one person says to another "what! you too? i thought i was the only one."

Glad to see you venture in Sara!!!

"For the wise men of old the cardinal problem had been how to conform the soul to reality. For magic and applied science alike the problem is how to subdue reality to the wishes of men."
-CS Lewis

"Every poem can be considered in two ways--as what the poet has to say, and as a thing which he makes."

^^haha, good one, Into the Wardrobe :)

I personally couldn't be any fonder of this one:

"Keep pressing home on him the ordinariness of things. Above all, do not attempt to use science (I mean the real sciences) as a defense against Christianity. They will positively encourage him to think about realities he can't touch or see. There have been sad cases among the modern physicists." (from the "affectionate" uncle Screwtape).

"The more often a man feels without acting, the less he'll be able to act. And in the long run, the less he'll be able to feel."

"A silly idea is current that good people do not know what temptation means. This is an obvious lie. Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is... A man who gives in to temptation after five minutes simply does not know what it would have been like an hour later. That is why bad people, in one sense, know very little about badness. They have lived a sheltered life by always giving in."

Back