Quotes By C.S. Lewis

^^Excellent stuff, those last few...

"Look for yourself and you will find in the long run only hatred, loneliness, despair, rage, ruin and decay. Look for Christ and you will find Him and with Him everything else thrown in."

"It was when I was happiest that I longed most...The sweetest thing in all my life has been the longing...to find the place where all the beauty came from."

I love that quote Carl!

"Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods."
-CS Lewis

"The real problem is not why some pious, humble, believing people suffer, but why some do not."

"We regard God as an airman regards his parachute; it's there for emergencies but he hopes he'll never have to use it."

"A great many of those who `debunk` traditional...values have in the background values of their own which they believe to be immune from the debunking process."

"Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see."

There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, in the end, 'Thy will be done.'
C. S. Lewis

"If the universe is so bad...how on earth did human beings ever come to attribute it to the activity of a wise and good Creator?"

"Has this world been so kind to you that you should leave with regret? There are better things ahead than any we leave behind."

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."

here one I like from the problem of pain, which im read right now.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put the sun out by scribbling the word "darkness" on the walls of his cell. But God wills our good, and our good is to love him .... and to love Him me must know him: and if we know him we shell in fact fall on our faces"

"When we merely say that we are bad, the "wrath" of God seema a barbarous doctrine; as soon as we perceive our badness, it appears inevatable, a mere corollary form God's own goodness."

"A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you're looking down, you can't see something that's above you."

"No doubt those who really founded modern science were usually those whose love of truth exceeded their love of power."

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading. There are traps everywhere--`Bibles laid open, millions of surprises,` as Herbert says, `fine nets and stratagems.` God is, if I may say it, very unscrupulous."

Back