• Episode I: The Phantom Menace

• Episode II: Attack of the Clones

• Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

• Clone Wars Animated

• Episode VII: The Force Awakens

• Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

• Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well, I'm headed out to see my second viewing of Solo; this time I'm going with a friend. I enjoyed the movie somewhat. It was fun in a lot of ways. I have a few criticisms too. But even the things that bothered me most I'll get over and if others absolutely love the movie then I'll be happy for them. I look forward to seeing it again to think about it some more and post some thoughts here as well as hear what others have to say about it!

I've seen Solo (THAT CAMEO AT THE END THOUGH!!!). I'd love to see it again, but I probably won't get to before it gets a dvd release. I loved it. Obviously, Alden is not Harrison, but he IS Han Solo.

Yes! That cameo was amazing! I wonder what they'll do with him, though, since we already got a conclusion to that story in SWR.

I don't know. I wonder if they were setting up a standalone film for him, or if they are considering a sequel to Solo. Either way, it'd be interesting to see. I LOVE seeing Clone Wars lore put into the movies. I feel like it's made watching the series even more worthwhile.

Lol, that cameo was what bothered me most about the film! It was too sudden and shocking for me. Although I'd heard things from the books and animated series supporting such an appearance, I never really embraced that idea. I guess I never really liked it because I found it discrediting. Now I feel like I can say, "What else has happened in Star Wars that hasn't really happened, because later they can say it really didn't?" But now I'm kind of over it. And I'm happy for those that like it. I'm glad those with an extensive knowledge of Star Wars beyond the theatrical releases were wowed by it.

I mostly like the film. I've seen it twice and probably won't go see it again, mainly because I find it so intense and somewhat exhausting. But even so it is a very well done film. I liked the introduction, it was simple but poetic. Right from the start we see some great call backs, like Han saying "Watch this!" I've read several posts complaining about the soundtrack on theforce.net, however I liked it. The Enfys Nest music (isn't it funny how Han says "What's an Enfys Nest?!") fittingly has what I'd call an orphan's vengeance vibe to it. The acting was outstanding all across the board. I think there are some interesting comparisons to Rogue One. In both films most if not all of the main characters die. Both droids featured are smart alecks.

I did feel the ending was a little weak. There are so many twists and turns. For a second I thought Beckett was going to be one and the same as Obiwan, when he told Han to look for him on Tatooine (in that shot he looked like the perfect hybrid of McGregor and Guinness) but that idea was quickly shot down. Again even the big cameo at the end could have been someone else but no hard feelings. I can understand the ending needing to underscore Solo's "solo-ness" but Qi'ra's arc lacked insight/closure.

Anyway, overall I thought it was a great film, way better than I expected.

Last edited:
Well, the reason Beckett told Han to look for him on Tatooine is because he said a big shot gangster was hiring. We all know that's Jabba the Hutt; and we know that Han worked for Jabba because that's the main reason Han was frozen in carbonite in ESB. Boba was one of the bounty hunters hired to find him. I thought that was a nice reference to the original trilogy.

I guess I don't understand the big hubbub about settling the "Han shot first" debate from ANH. Maybe it's because I've only ever seen the special editions so that's what I was introduced to from the beginning.

I disliked Qi'ra. I know a lot of people like her character, but I didn't. She was too shallow and not fleshed out enough.

As I was taking a walk at the mall this evening, I realized I hadn't realized the extent to which the opening and ending of Solo complement each other. Han and Qi'ra separate. Han hustles a vehicle to escape. Stolen coaxium is thwarted from a villain and given to a female. I'll probably recognize more similarities with time.

I love this artistic touch to the Star Wars films. Another striking example is stated at the end of the opening crawl for The Last Jedi: "As the First Order speeds toward the rebel base, the brave heroes mount a despearte escape...."
While this referred to the attack on the Ileenium system at the film's opening, it clearly foreshadowed the descent on Crait at the story's climax.

What are some other good examples?

Last edited:
Someone on Pinterest posted that they realized that Luke's story began with a projection of Leia asking for help, and ended with Luke sending a projection of himself to help Leia. I hadn't really noticed that arc, but makes sense. Also his journey began and ended with binary sunsets.

You learn a lot on Pinterest. ;)

Good stuff!

I went on google today to search the latest on Star Wars 9, expecting nothing more than recycled news. Instead, to my delight, I found this on Carrie Fisher and Episode 9:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/27/entertainment/star-wars-9-cast-cast/index.html

(CNN)Disney has announced the cast for the next chapter from the galaxy far, far away -- and it will include the late Carrie Fisher.

Fisher will reprise her role as Princess Leia Organa, using "previously unreleased footage shot for 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens,'" director J.J. Abrams announced Friday.
"We desperately loved Carrie Fisher. Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us," Abrams said in a statement. "We were never going to recast, or use a CG character."
Abrams added that with "the support and blessing" from Fisher's daughter, Billie Lourd, the film found a way "to honor Carrie's legacy and role as Leia in 'Episode IX' by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII."

Good stuff!

I went on google today to search the latest on Star Wars 9, expecting nothing more than recycled news. Instead, to my delight, I found this on Carrie Fisher and Episode 9:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/27/entertainment/star-wars-9-cast-cast/index.html

(CNN)Disney has announced the cast for the next chapter from the galaxy far, far away -- and it will include the late Carrie Fisher.

Fisher will reprise her role as Princess Leia Organa, using "previously unreleased footage shot for 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens,'" director J.J. Abrams announced Friday.
"We desperately loved Carrie Fisher. Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us," Abrams said in a statement. "We were never going to recast, or use a CG character."
Abrams added that with "the support and blessing" from Fisher's daughter, Billie Lourd, the film found a way "to honor Carrie's legacy and role as Leia in 'Episode IX' by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII."

I saw this. I also just read that Dominic Monaghan (Merry from Lord of the Rings) will be in 9. Wonder if he will have a bit part (because he's a huge SW fan) or if it will be major.

In a Facebook Star Wars group, I encountered a gentleman named Mike Connor, who is among the millions of Star Wars fans rightfully outraged by "The LEAST Jedi" making Luke out to be a pathetic loser. Mike shares with me the realization that the excuse "We don't want heroes to be TOO perfect" is utterly phony in this context, because Luke already showed weaknesses in the earlier movies, and should have been allowed to COUNT FOR SOMETHING in the years after Palpatine's death.

Mike issued a challenge: If you had the means to reshoot "The Last Jedi," but you couldn't change anything that comes BEFORE Luke finally confronts Kylo on the icy planet... could you change THAT scene in a way which would undo the harm that Kathleen Kennedork and Rian Pondscum intentionally inflicted?

I could actually do it!

First, Luke is physically present, having shown real advancement by teleporting himself to the scene. He says to Kylo:

"All these years, I've just been pretending to fall into useless apathy. I even had to fool Rey and Chewbacca about this, in case you might pick up a clue from their minds. But in reality, I merely ALLOWED you to knock me down that night long ago, so that my departure would seem like a pitiful failure on my part.

"Oh, and my other students whom you and your lot killed? They accepted death, so that they could assist me as Force ghosts. I spent years developing my own mind's power and range, so that I could coordinate the actions of my Force-ghost helpers.

"As soon as the First Order began to take shape, we contacted numerous worlds which Snoke believed were of no importance. Without having to leave my exile planet, I worked with my students' ghosts, remotely training hundreds of new Jedi Knights on the planets we had recruited; and they in turn organized whole new fleets and armies.

"We were too late to prevent Starkiller Base from destroying the capital of the free worlds, and almost too late to prevent THIS massacre you plan. But notice how I say 'almost'-- nephew."

A moment later, the sky fills with a new Resistance fleet, three times the size of the First Order fleet. While the bad guys' ships, both in space and in atmosphere, are being wiped out, Luke puts a Force choke on his nephew, and performs a psychic lobotomy which takes away all of Kylo's Sith-like powers permanently. Luke then summons Rey-- who is now filled with awe toward him-- and tells her:

"It's true that I'm not your father. But your actual parents DID NOT remain jerks, nor did they die. They are now my followers, and I ask you to forgive them for abandoning you as a child. Through contact with the spirit of Obi-Wan Kenobi, they have changed into the kind of people they should have been; better late than never. In fact, they're on board one of our ships, and you'll get to meet them soon."

At this point, Rose Tico runs up to greet Luke-- as "Master." Luke explains to the bystanding Finn: "Finn, I likewise ask you to forgive Rose for treating you so condescendingly. She has been secretly working for me, and her weird antics were part of the plan."

Finn looks to Rose, who picks up the explanation: "Finn, please believe me, I really am in love with you, and I hated having to make that idiotic speech about saving what we love, when I knew that you HAD JUST BEEN trying to save us all. But Admiral Holdo and I-- that's right, Holdo's working for Master Skywalker also, and she wasn't really killed in that maneuver-- she and I had to make it seem as if every woman in the Resistance cared about nothing but making the men look inferior. It was all part of convincing the First Order that there was nobody with a functioning brain to oppose them. But I swear to you, Finn, I've really always considered you a hero! Won't you please let me prove it to you?"

So Finn and Rose get married, since Rose isn't really the insufferable twit she had to pretend to be. Admiral Holdo makes her own contrite apology to Poe Dameron for the way she treated him; Poe forgives her, though no romance develops in their case.

Luke does not die for many years to come; he and Leia restore the Old Republic, and Episode Nine has A REAL REASON to be titled "The Rise of Skywalker." The new Episode Nine involves new evils for the good guys to fight, but nothing about it depends on spitefully ruining what came before.

Kylo Ren is sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of his father. He is forced every day to watch "woke" movies, all of which are about nothing but every female doing better than every male at everything always.

I get it. At the time of its release, I sort of enjoyed The Last Jedi for countering the dark, dismal The Force Awakens. But my feelings about Episode 8 have certainly changed the last two years as I've digested numerous criticisms of what basically amounts to a poorly written installment.

The reasons are all but obvious. Disney knows fans will watch Star Wars, so money will be made off the films regardless. Kennedy has let go of at least 3 directors, including one from the saga films. Some-odd three decades have passed between the events of Episodes 6 and 7, resulting in a rather peculiar exposition for the sequel trilogy.

What is the purpose of the new films? To cheapen and undermine the preceding six? Why is a familiar, deceased villain being reintroduced now? Is it because two different directors told two irreconcilable stories? Or that Snoke was a bad idea to begin with? Also what's so heroic about anyone being able to become a Jedi, overnight?

Yes in all honesty, fans have greater insights and creative contributions than the film-makers. One idea I've read suggested Finn would have been more interesting in The Last Jedi discovering a Storm Trooper recruitment complex. Rather than gambling the plot on a code-breaker, Johnson could've had Finn (Rose could have even tagged along) inspiring a Stormtrooper split/rebellion on Canto Bight. First, that would nicely parallel the second installment of each previous trilogy (the mysterious creation of the Clone Army in Episode 2, and the haunting deployment of the Emperor's Stormtrooper Army in Episode 5). Second, it could provide the massive counter-army you mentioned Copperfox, to combat the First Order's fleet on Crait. Such a Stormtrooper rebellion would have nicely overstated the general chaos of the totalitarian First Order.

But instead we have full speed ahead to planetfall (while Finn and Phasma have another useless scuffle) and then the Resistance (or is it Rebellion?) is surprised by the ghost of Luke not-so-present (where is Rey throughout this sequence?). I don't think anyone was expecting Luke to face down the First Order already in the second film of this trilogy. When I think of how sloppily this was handled, my jaw still drops open. I say, "You mean to tell me, Luke could have actually travelled there on his X-wing and had a real lightsaber duel with Kylo Ren, and Rian Johnson threw that opportunity away." The only lightsaber fight we get in Episode 8 is a momentary flashback. We also get a silly Samurai fight with Rey and Kylo. But when do we see lightsabers surprisingly used out of practical necessity, like deflecting a droid laser gun in a Gungan jungle, or zapping deadly assassin critters off a beautiful senator?

What's in store for The Rise of Skywalker? Why does the sequel trilogy continue to introduce the same environments with new planet names? Why is nothing about Rey, Finn, or Poe grounded in Star Wars as we know it? Visually the new films succeed at capturing the look and feel of the original trilogy with updated special effects. However, they don't push the envelope like the prequels did, which if you ask me, have some of both the best and the worst CGI in the entire saga. Clearly the goal is to make 9 the last Skywalker story. It should be interesting if it makes more or even less sense out of things.

Last edited:
Yes, I saw it! I'm not quite sure what to make of it. In some ways it was great. In others it was horribly morbid and a parody of Star Wars itself. I want to see it again. It's a lot.

I saw it too! I was not a huge fan — it’s a very flawed film, bogged down by the pacing, retconning characterization developed in TLJ, attempting to pander to every type of fan, and the ending. It’s not a bad film per se, on its own, it’s enjoyable, but as a conclusion to a nine-film saga about the Skywalker family? Needlessly depressing.

Back