Why does everyone hate this movie merged with worst change

What was the worst change from the book in your opinion?

• Interlacing the Caspian sequences between the Pevensie sequences

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Aslan's first introduction

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • The addition of the raid of Miraz's castle

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • Peter's added cockiness and arrogance

Votes: 50 34.5%
  • Susan's romantic affair with Caspian

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Caspian's age

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • They were all good

Votes: 17 11.7%

• Total voters
That about not staying as true to the book,most definately. There were some changes I felt were unnecessary.
Although I must admit the greater part of the changes didn't annoy me much at all,but then again,I never was much of a fan of this book.

I'm very confused about what age Caspian is supposed to be. I don't mind him being around Peter's age --since that's how he's described, vaguely enough, in the book. But in the movie, he often acted younger and then suddenly older. The inconsistency of his character confused me entirely.

not only the character's inconsistency, but also Caspian's role in the movie. for me, Peter's stealing the spotlight.

peter's attitude is, by far, the WORST change in the movie. :( i actually got irritated with him while watching the movie. i can't help it! (sorry peter/william fans!)
the second worst is the absence of memorable scenes from the book, like the dancing lawn thing, the march of Aslan's army, Caspian's nurse, and Susan and lucy's second ride on Aslan's back. :(
the third is Aslan's screen time. he appeared almost at the end! although i'm okay with it, i wished they would show all of the Aslan scenes from the book.

Last edited:
^yeah, looks like Peter's changed attitude is winning big time. *sheepish*

Ach, well. The scene I missed most from the book is the faith walk, although I do not know where the producers could have placed it, etc. At least the spirit of the faith walk was there but, yeah, I really missed it.

Of things from the book that are not in the movie in ANY form, perhaps my favorite is when Aslan, Susan and Lucy come upon an elderly woman who had cared for Caspian in his infancy, and so Caspian is reunited with her.

That's interesting! I never realized how beloved Caspian's nurse was.

I'd thought it was a smart decision to combine Dr.Cornelius/Nurse characters in the movie since, essentially, they both do the same thing. But I suppose there is an extra something of poignancy involved when it is an old woman who has cared for you whom you are reunited with. Esp. as Caspian is motherless. That might have humanized the Prince more in the movie, if it had stayed.

Oh, that was so sad they left that out! And if they had just been more faithful to the book in the beginning, it could have been so easily done, and so sweet. :(

If they had taken three minutes at the beginnig of the film to fill in the blanks, they could have shown the Telmarine conquest, the rise of Miraz to the throne, the childhood of Caspian and how his beloved nurse had been taken from him ...

Oh well, another change that was sad was the way they decimated Dr. Cornelius' role. They got a good actor for that role, then they didn't give him hardly anything to do.

I'm not sure putting it in the beginning would have been the best place since introducing a new character's backstory in the first few minutes of a sequel can be, IMO, a very tedious experience.

But, once the audience is already invested in the character -maybe in the middle?- it might've been neat if Caspian mentioned his nurse to the Badger and Black Dwarf. Then, to have her appear around coronation time period or so. I don't know!

The raid on Miraz's castle.

All the other stuff I can live with, but the addition of a major battle that wasn't in the book is really unnecessary.

Also, I wish the intro to the movie followed the book.

You know, the old nurse, the stuff about the tutor, etc.

And I also miss the scene where Aslan heals the nurse and shows the young Telmarines the new country they now have (he turns a stuffy school into a woodland glade).

Last edited:
Ah, yes, the Telmarine schools. Mr. Lewis was being evenhanded there, in that he showed how sometimes it's the students who suffer from rotten teachers, and sometimes the teachers who suffer from rotten students.

For me, it is a tie between the Caspian-Susan romance, Peter's arrogance, and Susan fighting like Legolas. The first one takes away from Caspian's awe of the Pevensies. He can appreciate Susan's beauty, but because she is a myth becoming true, I don't think he should view her romantically.

As for Peter's arrogance, I disliked it because it made the High King, the highest authority in Narnia (besides Aslan, of course), a selfish jerk. He eventually humbled himself, which I am glad about, but his attitude was not becoming for a mature king of Narnia.

Lastly, I was unhappy with the way they had Susan fight, since it was totally out of character. It is one thing for her to fight, as she would want to protect Narnia, but it is another thing to make her a warrior. She is Queen Susan the Gentle; she does not like to kill things, as glimpsed with the bear scene and expressed in the book.

Well, that is my opinion. Lol, it is quite long for my first post on this forum. :)

For me, it is a tie between the Caspian-Susan romance, Peter's arrogance, and Susan fighting like Legolas. The first one takes away from Caspian's awe of the Pevensies. He can appreciate Susan's beauty, but because she is a myth becoming true, I don't think he should view her romantically.

As for Peter's arrogance, I disliked it because it made the High King, the highest authority in Narnia (besides Aslan, of course), a selfish jerk. He eventually humbled himself, which I am glad about, but his attitude was not becoming for a mature king of Narnia.

Lastly, I was unhappy with the way they had Susan fight, since it was totally out of character. It is one thing for her to fight, as she would want to protect Narnia, but it is another thing to make her a warrior. She is Queen Susan the Gentle; she does not like to kill things, as glimpsed with the bear scene and expressed in the book.

Well, that is my opinion. Lol, it is quite long for my first post on this forum. :)
Very good post! That is my opinion PRECISELY! *claps*;):D

Welcome, Arandil. I did not see you post before. I agree with your post in the main. The worst I thought was Peter's character.
:(

I am surprised everyone did not like Peter's character. I thought it was a very good addition to the movie, which provided a larger gap in ideology between Peter's cockiness/Susan's new found desire to fight and Lucy needing protection/Edmond getting some common sence. What I did not like about the movie was I felt Edmond was not given enough time to show the difference between him and Peter, which would help to explain why Edmond could stay and Peter could not.

Also, I felt the Aslan scenes were terrible! I think they could have done a lot more to make the lion more magnificent. He just looked dull (literally, his fur was a dull gold) in the movie, and his voice could have been more commanding. He is the one who is ultimatly in charge.

Surprised? SURPRISED that so many of us don't like Peter's personality being dragged through mud?

How can I say this politely?

Suppose you're a Batman fan. Then suppose someone makes a Batman movie in which Batman bullies both Robin and Alfred the Butler, forces motorists off the road with the Batmobile just for fun, keeps for himself the loot he finds on crooks he captures, and sets fire to cute little kittens. Then suppose the revisionist writers defend themselves by saying, "We just wanted Batman to be more HUMAN!"

I wouldn't be surprised if you were annoyed with that.

Meanwhile, I have NO objection at all to Susan having fought, given the circumstances the movie placed her in.

Surprised? SURPRISED that so many of us don't like Peter's personality being dragged through mud?

How can I say this politely?

Suppose you're a Batman fan. Then suppose someone makes a Batman movie in which Batman bullies both Robin and Alfred the Butler, forces motorists off the road with the Batmobile just for fun, keeps for himself the loot he finds on crooks he captures, and sets fire to cute little kittens. Then suppose the revisionist writers defend themselves by saying, "We just wanted Batman to be more HUMAN!"

I wouldn't be surprised if you were annoyed with that.

Meanwhile, I have NO objection at all to Susan having fought, given the circumstances the movie placed her in.
Well said! Though I didn't like that Susan fought...

I don't understand either how some are suprised that many Narnia fans found that change appalling. It was an absurd change. You can make someone look more human by giving them honorable traits, not arrogance. It is as if people only equate negativism with being human. Many human beings act honorable and virtuous. Why couln't Peter do the same in the movie?
Would you like me to act human by being a jerk or by behaving honorably?

Back